The RISI DRM system requires that you use adobe acrobat to view our documents. Some browsers come configured by default to use their own. This section shows you how to configure your browser to use the adobe plugin by default.
If you Receive this error:
"There is a problem with this protected PDF document it may be damaged. Please contact the publisher for a clean file."
You need to configure your browser as defined in this section.
Google Chrome Settings:
You may see an error message when attempting to view a Protected PDF from Google Chrome. "There is a problem with this protected PDF document it may be damaged. Please contact the publisher for a clean file."
If your browser is set to Chrome PDF Reader, you will need to change it to Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
To enable Adobe Acrobat follow these instructions:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Type "chrome://plugins" in the chrome address bar.
- Chrome will display the list of current plug-ins.
- Click Disable under the Chrome PDF viewer.
- Click Enable link under Adobe Acrobat.
- Close the Google Chrome browser and click the print-at-home link in the email.
You may see an error message when attempting to view a Protected PDF from Safari, "There is a problem with this protected PDF document it may be damaged. Please contact the publisher for a clean file." In OS X, Apple's Preview is the default application for opening a number of file types, including PDF's. Preview will NOT allow you to view the protected PDF, you will need to change it to Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
To enable Adobe Acrobat or Reader, follow these instructions:
- Single click a PDF file you wish to open or any PDF file in general while holding the control key. Then select 'Get Info' from the menu you've opened.
- Under the heading 'Open with,' the current default application for opening PDF's is listed. If there is no application listed you may need to click the triangle to the left of 'Open with' so that it points downward to reveal the current setting.
- Click on the application listed to open a menu displaying additional applications. In this menu locate the most recent version of Adobe Reader. If Reader is not listed or an old version of the software is listed select 'Other' from the bottom of the menu.
- Navigate through your Applications folder to locate the icon for the Adobe Reader application and click to highlight it. Click the Add button to select Reader.
- Back in the information window click the 'Change All' button so that all subsequent PDF files will be opened by the Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Click the Continue button to confirm that you'd like to change your settings. Now all PDF files will be opened by the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
You may see an error message when attempting to view a Protected PDF from Firefox. If your browser is set to the Firefox internal PDF reader, you will need to change it to Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
To enable Adobe Acrobat or Reader in Firefox, follow these instructions:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then select Options (if you have an older version of Firefox, Options may be found by clicking the Tools button at the top of the window).
- Select the Applications panel.
- Find Portable Document Format (PDF) in the Content Type list and click on it to select it.
- Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox).
Web-viewer compatible browsers
To properly download and view your protected PDF, your browser must be compatible with HTML5. Below are the earliest versions of browsers that were compatible with HTML5
- Internet Explorer 10 and higher
- Firefox 7 and higher
- Chrome 14 and higher
- Safari 5 and higher
- Opera 11 and higher